June 26, Colombo: A father, a mother and their two daughters were hospitalized with serious injuries when a fire broke out in a room on the ground floor of their two storey house in the Magammana area in Homagama, Kahathuduwa Police said.
However the mother and the father have succumbed to their burn injuries.
The couple and their 19-year-old eldest daughter have sustained serious burn injuries and the six-year-old daughter has sustained minor injuries in the fire.
The fire has suddenly erupted at around 8 pm last night in a room in the downstairs room where the family was at the time.
The fire was put out by the residents of the area and the injured were admitted to the Homagama Base Hospital for treatment, police said.
The four injured were first treated in the Homagama Base Hospital and the six-year-old child was transferred to Children’s Hospital in Borella while the others had been transferred to Colombo National Hospital.
The father identified as SA Lasantha Buddhika Ranasinghe (47), a resident of Magammana, Homagama has succumbed to his injuries on the way to the National Hospital.
The cause of the fire has not been properly ascertained yet, the police said.