Lankapage Logo CP 21 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Sri Lanka Central Bank explains why Repatriation and Conversion of Export Proceeds needed
Wed, Feb 24, 2021, 11:24 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Feb 24, Colombo: On 18 February 2021, the Monetary Board issued Rules in respect of repatriation of export proceeds into Sri Lanka and conversion of such proceeds into Sri Lanka rupees, and also issued Operating Instructions to Licensed Banks on the same.

The Central Bank explained that those Rules and Operating Instructions, which would supplement the repatriation requirement already in place, were issued in order to strengthen the foreign exchange situation of the country and to dampen speculative activity that caused some excessive volatility in the exchange rate.

The Bank however, noted that since issuing these Rules and Operating Instructions, there have been some media reports, which argued that such rules will discourage Sri Lankan exporters from expanding their domestic businesses. These reports also implied that the legitimate earnings of exporters were being usurped by the banking system and the Government.

The Central Bank of Sri Lanka clarified that many Sri Lankan exporters already repatriate a large share of their foreign exchange earnings into Sri Lanka. These exporters also convert a substantial portion of their foreign exchange earnings to Sri Lanka rupees, in order to meet their domestic payment obligations. Therefore, the requirement to repatriate foreign exchange earnings to Sri Lanka and to convert 25 percent of these earnings into Sri Lanka Rupees does not exert excessive pressure on exporters.

“Furthermore, the domestic value addition in export sectors varies from one industry to another, and the requirement to convert 25 percent of foreign exchange earnings into Sri Lanka Rupees will encourage domestic value addition in any export business that has not yet reached at least this level of value addition. Such repatriation and conversion requirements are not uncommon in other regional economies, which have displayed strong export performance. In fact, the requirements are more stringent in numerous aspects in these countries,” the Central Bank said.

The Central Bank also emphasized that even after the conversion of 25 percent of export proceeds, exporters will continue to possess the converted amount in Sri Lankan rupees, while being allowed to utilize the remaining 75 percent of foreign exchange earnings to purchase imported inputs, to save in foreign currency or for further conversions, at their own free will.

The requirement for Licensed Banks to sell to the Central Bank 50 percent of export proceeds converted into Sri Lanka rupees by exporters (12.5 percent of total foreign exchange earnings) has been introduced to ensure that the country is able to build its non-borrowed reserves gradually to a high level.

“Along with ongoing active efforts and fiscal and monetary policy support to promote foreign exchange earning sectors of the country, such absorption of foreign exchange by the Central Bank would help the country to rely on its own resources instead of foreign borrowing, while strengthening Sri Lanka’s credit profile, enhancing exchange rate stability, and improving the resilience of the economy,” the Central Bank clarified.

 

ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories ::
New American Center opens its doors in Colombo
-- [33 minutes ago]
John Keells Foundation collaborates with ChildFund in the post-pandemic development of social and emotional skills of youth of Colombo 02
-- [1 hour and 1 minutes ago]
State banks requested to provide maximum relief to entrepreneurs to pay loans
US Ambassador Cindy McCain’s visit to Sri Lanka highlights work on food security by FAO, IFAD and WFP
Police arrest three with a stock of Kerala Cannabis worth Rs. 50 million in Mannar
Sri Lanka’s merchandise export earnings exceeds US$ 1.2 billion in August 2022
Japan is willing to further strengthen the bilateral relations with Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka to amend laws to raise age of a child from 16 to 18 years
The SLFP will not join the National Assembly - Chairman
SLPP suspends party membership of PS member arrested for Thambuttegama heist

Copyright © 2000, 2020 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.