Apr 06, Colombo: Minister of Public Security Rear Admiral (Retd.) Dr. Sarath Weerasekara says the masterminds of the Easter Sunday attack on 21 April 2019 are identified.
Addressing a media briefing held today (06), Minister Weerasekara said Naufar Moulavi and Hajjul Akbar have been identified as the masterminds behind the Easter attack, that killed 269 people.
He said that Naufar Moulavi is currently in remand custody and that the suspect had brought Islamic State (IS) ideology to the country in 2014.
He further said that Saharan Hashim, the suicide bomber involved in the Easter Sunday attack, had been directed for extremist activities in 2016 and had been supported by Naufar Moulavi.
Naufar Moulavi is one of the founding members of the IS-linked National Towheed Jamaat (NTJ).
In January this year, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that Naufar Moulavi and two other Sri Lankans had been charged with conspiring to provide material support to IS that claimed responsibility for the Easter Sunday attack.
Minister of Public Security said there was no need to hide anything about the investigation into the Easter attack as some people claim and added that action had already been taken against 32 people.
At present 211 persons have been remanded and 75 are detained on extended detention orders, the Minister said.