Apr 02, Colombo: All 31 foreigners from 15 countries quarantined at Sri Lanka’s military-managed quarantine centers have been released after successful completion of 14-day isolation process, the head of the National Operation Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOCPCO), Army Commander Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva said.
At the NOCPCO media briefing Thursday, April 2, 2020 Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva said 187 quarantined returnees from Diyatalawa, Rantembe and Pompeimadu Quarantine Centers (QCs) after the two-week long quarantine process, left for their homes this morning (2) after receipt of Quarantine Certificates.
So far, 2,308 quarantined individuals have left those QCs, manned by tri services, he said.
The Army Chief said 226 individuals, suspected to have been in contact with positive COVID-19 victims, found from Beruwela area through intelligence and health officials were taken to Punani QC by the Army late Tuesday (1) evening since most of their dwellings were found not spacious enough for self-quarantining, and also as a precautionary measure to arrest further transmission of the infection in those villages and safety of all.
Another 30 individuals were admitted to Puttalam QC last evening.
As of now, 1,683 persons are still in quarantine in 40 island-wide QCs.
Arrangements are also underway as of now to refer some 300 plus individuals, believed to have had contact with the COVID patient who died yesterday.
Another batch of 312 quarantined individuals is also ready to proceed home by tomorrow (3) morning, Head of the NOCPCO said.
Meanwhile, the tri services today (2) launched a transport service to take pensioners, senior citizens to respective banks from their homes in curfew hours to draw their pensions in coordination with Grama Seva and other state officials. “In addition, they were provided transport as well to proceed to pharmacies to collect their medicines,” Lieutenant General Silva said.