Oct 07, Colombo: A record 35 candidates handed in their nominations for the Presidential Election 2019 on 16th November, the National Elections Commission said.
The accepting of nominations for the upcoming Presidential Election commenced at 9 am and concluded at 11 am Monday (07) at the Elections Commission office in Rajagiriya.
Candidates who submitted their nominations included the United National Front Candidate (UNF) Sajith Premadasa National People's Power (NPP) Candidate Anura Kumara Dissanayake, Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna candidate Gotabaya Rajapaksa and former Army Commander Mahesh Senanayake.
Incumbent President Maithripala Sirisena has decided not to run for a second term.
Among the candidates are two Buddhist monks, four from the Muslim community, two from the Tamil community and one female candidate.
Six out of the 41 president hopefuls who placed the deposits also did not submit nominations. United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) parliamentarians, former Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa and Kumara Welgama did not submit their nominations despite making deposits.
All 35 nominations submitted to the Elections Commission have been accepted, stated the Chairman of the Elections Commission. The Commission rejected two objections submitted regarding the nominations.
Complete List of Presidential Candidates:
- Ketagoda Gamage Jayantha Perera (Independent)
- Siripala Amarasinghe (Independent)
- Ajantha Wijesinghe Perera (Socialist Party of Sri Lanka)
- Ven. Aparekke Punnananda Thera (Independent)
- Welisarage Saman Prasanna Perera (Ape Jana Bala Party)
- Nandasena Gotabaya Rajapaksa (Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna)
- Ariyawansha Dissanayake(Democratic United National Front)
- Sirithunga Jayasuriya (United Socialist Party)
- Warnakulasuriya Milroy Surgeus Fernando (Independent)
- Badde Gamage Nandimithra (Nava Sama Samaja Party)
- Nambunama Nanayakkara Akmeemana Palliyaguruge Vajirapani Wijesiriwardena (Socialist Equality Party)
- Sarath Manamendra (Nava Sihala Urumaya)
- Pallewatte Gamaralalage Rohan Pallewatte (National Development Front)
- Anura Kumara Dissanayake (National People's Power)
- Chandrasekara Herath Hitihamy Koralalage Samansiri Herath (Independent)
- Welera Keerthiratne Mudiyanselage Sarath Vijithakumara Keerthiratne (Independent)
- Polgampala Ralalage Chaminda Anurudda (Independent)
- Samaraweera Weerawanni (Independent)
- Ashoka Wadigamangawa (Independent)
- A.S.P. Liyanage (Sri Lanka Labour Party)
- Ven. Battaramulle Seelaratne Thera (Jana Setha Peramuna)
- Sajith Premadasa (New Democratic Front)
- Illiyas Idroos Mohamed (Independent)
- Wijenayake Kankanamge Piyasiri Wijenayake (Independent)
- Duminda Nagamuwa (Frontline Socialist Party)
- Rajeewa Wijesinghe (Independent)
- Mahesh Senanayake (National People's Party)
- Aruna De Soysa (Democratic National Movement)
- Ajantha De Soysa (Ruhunu Janatha Peramuna)
- Priyantha Munihath Edirisinghe (Okkoma Wasiyo Okkoma Rajawaru Sanvidanaya)
- Namal Rajapaksa (Nationalities Unity Organization)
- M.K. Sivajalingam (Independent)
- Mahamood Lebbe Alim Mohamed Hizbullah (Independent)
- Ahmed Hassan Mohamed Alavi (Independent)
- Subramanium Gunaratnam (Our National Front)