July 22, Colombo: The case against suspended IGP Pujith Jayasundara and former Defense Secretary Hemasiri Fernando in connection with the Easter Sunday terrorist attack, was taken up for hearing today by the Colombo Chief Magistrate court.
When the former Defense Secretary Hemasiri Fernando and IGP Pujith Jayasundara. who were granted bail, appeared before the Colombo Chief Magistrate today on charges of neglecting their duties and failing to prevent the terrorist attacks and casualties on Easter Sunday..
Deputy Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris stated in court that the statements of the first suspect Hemasiri Fernando have been recorded and statements have been recorded from the second suspect Pujith Jayasundara on two occasions. It is said that the statements are to be recorded today as well.
The lawyer of the second suspect stated that his client had been prejudiced by a press release issued by the Attorney General's Department.
The Deputy Solicitor General said that he was unaware of the matter and that the attention of the Attorney General would be drawn to it.
The Colombo Chief Magistrate Lanka Jayaratne ordered to expedite further investigations into the incident and report to court on October 03.
Meanwhile, the revision petition filed by the Attorney General against granting bail to the two suspects by the Magistrate's Court is to be taken up at the Colombo High Court tomorrow.