Lankapage Logo CP 19 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Excavations of Mannar mass grave halted for three months
Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 09:58 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Mar 24, Colombo: A decision has been taken to halt the excavations of the Mannar mass grave in Northern Province for three months, Chief Investigating officer Senior Judicial Medical Officer Dr. Shaminda Rajapakse said.

The decision has been reached at a discussion held into late Friday on the next steps to be taken regarding further excavations after carbon dating studies found that the bone samples obtained from the human skeletal remains were found to be belonged to a time period between 1499 and 1720 A.D

The discussion was headed by the Mannar Magistrate and a team of Judicial Medical experts, a team of archaeologists headed by Dr. Raj Somadeva, Saliya Peiris, the Chairman of the Office on Missing Persons and another member, the police, the STF and some of the relatives of the disappeared have participated.

Prof. Raj Somadeva has agreed to provide a report on the archaeological analysis of the excavations done so far within three months and after having received the report, another discussion will be held to decide on the next steps.

At the discussion it was also informed that more reports are to be received regarding the matter.

Although the excavations have been temporarily suspended for three months, the security has been strengthened and scientific measures would be taken to prevent the deterioration of the excavated skeletal, Judicial Medical Officer Dr. Shaminda Rajapakse said Rajapaksa said.

 

ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories ::
Special Forces soldier falls to death during parachute training
-- [6 hours ago]
COPA proceedings open to the media from tomorrow
-- [6 hours ago]
Police arrest 10 people for attempting to illegally migrate to Australia
-- [6 hours ago]
Third Enterprise Sri Lanka Exhibition in Jaffna from Sept 7-10
-- [6 hours ago]
President's three-member committee probed Easter Sunday attacks before PSC today
-- [7 hours ago]
Sri Lanka's LOLC surpasses $ 1 b in equity
-- [7 hours ago]
Euronet Worldwide's Digital Integrated Payments Cloud powers Sri Lanka's first QR code-based payment app
-- [8 hours ago]
Another two received arms training with NTJ leader Saharan arrested
Norway committed to working together with Sri Lanka, new envoy asserts
Makandure Madush's lawyer files motion in court requesting foreign travel ban on CID director

Copyright © 2000, 2016 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.