Lankapage Logo CP 19 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Gramashakthi People's Movement Western Province Steering Committee meeting today
Mon, Feb 18, 2019, 11:40 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Feb 18, Colombo: The Western Province Steering Committee meeting of Gramashakthi People's Movement, conducted by the President's office under the direction of the President Task Force on poverty alleviation will be held under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena today in Henegama, Gampaha.

The Gramashakthi People's Movement, a brainchild of President Sirisena, is the flagship development program launched in line with the vision of the President for a Sustainable Sri Lanka with a robust economy free of all forms of poverty by the year 2030.

The Program is being implemented island-wide while giving priority for the districts where the population of low-income families are high. Initially 1,000 villages were to be covered and by the year 2020 it will be expanded to 5,000 villages.

In 2018, grants amounting to Rs. 47 million were provided to Gramashakthi societies in the Colombo District while Rs. 39 million has been provided for the Gampaha district and Rs. 42 million for the Kalutara district.

Colombo District has a poverty index of 0.9% of the total population of 2,343,000. The Gampaha District of which the population is 2,372,000, there is a poverty index of 2.0% and the poverty index of the Kalutara district with a population of 1,281,000 is 2.9%.

The progress of the programs and their future plans will be discussed at the steering committee meeting today President's Media Division said.

The meeting will be held with the participation of the political authorities of the province and public officials. It is planned to provide immediate solutions to the problems faced by the people in the Western Province.

Also, several new agreements will be signed today between the Gramashakthi society and several private companies of the Western Province, for the purchase of new products in the village societies.

The Western Province Gramashakthi program will be held in the Walaramba Production Village in Dompe, Gampaha.

 

ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories ::
Indian HC hands over 98 houses built under Indian Housing Project to plantation workers in Nuwara Eliya
-- [5 minutes ago]
Police arrest 293 drunk drivers in special operation in Western Province
-- [27 minutes ago]
Sri Lanka PM launches construction of nearly $4 billion oil refinery in southern port city
-- [58 minutes ago]
Sri Lanka Navy arrests 11 Indian fishermen for illegally fishing in Sri Lankan waters
-- [9 hours ago]
Nine Iranians transporting 100 kg of heroin arrested in Sri Lanka's southern coast
-- [9 hours ago]
CSE and GRI to host a forum on Sustainability Reporting for Sustainable Development
Nations Trust Bank American Express official event partner at Fireside Chat 2019
Excavations of Mannar mass grave halted for three months
Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe celebrates his 70th birthday today
Proposal to include the Theravada Tripitaka into the Memory of the World Register of UNESCO presented

Copyright © 2000, 2016 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.