Sept 06, Colombo: Representatives from international donor agencies providing development aid to Sri Lanka said they are ready to extend their fullest support to Sri Lanka's efforts to achieve goals of development and reconciliation.
This was stated during a meeting between the President Maithripala Sirisena and the representatives of the donor agencies held at the President's Residence last night (05).
Representatives of several donor agencies including the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) met with the President.
The President expressing his appreciation for the long-term assistance given to the development of Sri Lanka by the international financial institutions said Sri Lanka hopes to enhance this assistance further through a broad spectrum of sectors.
The President highlighting the development programs implemented in the country by the government, said his objective is to bring about equal development in all nine provinces of the country in order to ensure equal benefits to all the people in the country.
The President said the government is giving priority to develop the North and East areas that were destroyed due to the war and to provide those people with development rights as well.
He said the government is looking forward to the assistance of international agencies for the government's many infrastructure development projects such as providing drinking water.
The President also noted that the government is doing a great deal of work to eradicate poverty in the country declaring a year of poverty alleviation and requested the support of all donor institutions.
President Sirisena apprised the donor agencies that 88 percent of the resettlement of IDPs in the North and East has already been completed and the government is expediting the resettlement of remaining 12 percent.
He said the government has paid special attention and launched several programs to find solutions to the problems of unemployment among the youth in the North and the East, as well as to control the drug menace.
President Sirisena said the support of the people's representatives in the North and East is essential to successfully implement these development projects and his expectation is to bring all of them together to achieve the objectives of development and reconciliation.
The President mentioning that he received the interim report of the Office on the Missing Persons (OMP) that was established to look into the disappearances, said steps will be taken to appoint a cabinet subcommittee to implement the recommendations of the OMP report.
He also requested the representatives to assist the Government in its efforts to provide the welfare benefits to the families of the disappeared.
The President also recalled the government's commitment to build a clean state system, eradicating fraud and corruption.
Meanwhile, the new permanent Resident Coordinator of the United Nations to Sri Lanka Ms. Hanaa Singer called on the President at the President's House yesterday (5th) evening.
Secretary to the President Udaya R. Seneviratne, Secretary to the Ministry of Finance, Dr. R.H.S. Samaratunga and other officials were present at the meeting.