Nov 14, Colombo: The excavation activities of the Mannar mass grave found at the old Sathosa building in Mannar, had been temporarily suspended from today (14) the Senior Judicial Medical Officer Saminda Rajapakse said.
Excavation activities have been temporarily suspended due to the official court duties undertaken by the officers engaged in excavation of the graves and the excavations will resume on the 27th November, the Senior JMO said.
According to Dr. Rajapakse, the excavation activities of the Mannar mass grave have been carried out for 105 days and 235 human skeletal remains had been retrieved from the location.
Out of the 232 bodies recovered, 224 bodies are complete and the completed bodies have been placed in a special chamber in the Mannar Court Complex. Out of the 235 bodies recovered, 229 bodies are complete and the completed bodies have been placed in a special chamber in the Mannar Court Complex.
There are 18 human skeletal remains believed to be of children.
Following the discovery of human remains on 26 March at the old Sathosa building in Mannar, further digging at the site was continued under the supervision of Mannar magistrate M Prabhakaran. The excavation of the site started on May 28.
The excavated skeletal remains have been sealed and placed at the Mannar Magistrate's Court complex.
The northwestern town was occupied by the Tamil Tiger terrorists LTTE during Sri Lanka's civil war between 1983 and 2009.