Aug 05, Colombo: Higher Education and Cultural Affairs Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe says that no permission has been granted for a cable car project in Sigiriya.
Making a special statement Minister Rajapakshe said about a year ago Chinese nationals have made a request to the Central Cultural Fund under the purview of the Cultural Affairs Ministry for such a project but the Central Cultural Fund has never granted approval.
The Minister, emphasizing that Sigiriya is a World Heritage with a historic value, said a cable car project or any other project that would alter or damage the natural environment of the historic site would not be allowed.
However, local media reports said a group of Chinese nationals have been seen surveying the site of the rock fortress to start a cable car project with the permission of the Central Cultural Fund officials.
Sigiriya rock fortress had been built by King Kashyapa in the 5th century A.D. Sigiriya was declared a World Heritage site in 1982.