Mar 07, Colombo: The Chairman and the members of the Office on Missing Persons (OMP) have met with the Chairman of the Constitutional Council, Speaker Karu Jayasuriya and other members to explain the present activities of the OMP with the objective of receiving necessary guidance on the future directions.
Chairman of the Constitutional Council, Speaker Karu Jayasuriya, said the Office on Missing Persons is a statutory institution established by the parliament under Act No: 14 of 2016 and has a great responsibility and a duty to a civilized society.
The Speaker said that the main responsibility of the OMP is to find the truth about the missing persons for the families that are hoping to be heard about their loved ones.
Speaker Karu Jayasuriya said that the OMP, which is committed to an important national service without discriminating on ethnicity, religion and political differences, will have same legal independence as the Human Rights Commission or Right to Information Commission.
Pointing out that the building facilities needed to run the activities of the OMP should be promptly provided, the Speaker said as the chairman of the Constitutional Council he will instruct the Public Administration Ministry and the Treasury to act expeditiously.
The Chairman of the Constitutional Council expressed his confidence that the OMP respecting the sentiments of the people would be able to mete justice and fairness and ensure the people's right to live without fear.
The following is the list of participants in today's meeting.
1. Hon. Karu Jayasuriya, Chairman, Constitutional Council
2. Hon. R. Sampanthan, Leader of the Opposition in Parliament, Member, Constitutional Council
3. Hon. W.D.J. Senewiratne, Member, Constitutional Council
4. Dr. A.T Ariyaratne, Member, Constitutional Council
5. Mr. Shibly Aziz, PC, Member, Constitutional Council
6. Dr (Ms.) Radhika Coomaraswamy, Member, Constitutional Council
7. Mr. Saliya K. M. Pieris, PC, Chairman, OMP
8. Dr. Sriyani Nimalka Fernando, Member, OMP
9. Mr. Mirak Raheem, Member, OMP
10. Mr. Kanapathipillai Venthan, Member, OMP
11. Major General Mohanti Antonette Maltidevi Pieris (Retd), Member, OMP
12. Mrs. Punniyamoorthy Jeyatheepa, Member, OMP
13. Mr. S. K. Liyanage, Member, OMP
14. Ms Chandima Wickramasinghe, Senior Assistant Secretary, Presidential Secretariat
15. Mr Ibrahim Ansar, Advisor, UN & Intl affairs Coordinating unit, SCRM
16. Mr Tharaka Hettiarachchi, Director, UN & Intl affairs Coordinating unit, SCRM
17. Mr. V. Sivagnanasothy, Secretary, Ministry of National Integration & Reconciliation
18. Mr J. J. Ratnasiri, Secretary, Ministry of Public Administration & Management
19. Ms. Nalani Amaratunga, Director, Department of National Budget, Ministry of Finance
20. Mr. H G Sumanasinghe, Director General, Department of Management Services, Ministry of Finance
21. Mrs. A. Vaidehi, Director, Ministry of National Integration & Reconciliation