Lankapage Logo CP 18 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* China, Singapore FTAs can transform two-thirds of Sri Lanka's annual imports, WTO says
Wed, Oct 11, 2017, 11:48 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Oct 11, Colombo: No less than two thirds of annual imports to Sri Lanka will enter the country duty free when the Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with China and Singapore are wrapped up, said a visiting top official from World Trade Organization (WTO) in Colombo yesterday.

At present over half of Sri Lanka's imports at 51 percent are from Most Favorite Nations (MFN) sources at zero import duty.

"Assuming both China and Singapore FTAs are successfully formulated, and with zero duty rates, the total volume of duty free imports to Sri Lanka will be 75% of the country's annual imports," Dr. Rohini Acharya, Chief of the Regional Trade Agreements Division of WTO said.

Acharya, joined by the visiting WTO Counsellor Jo-Ann Crawford was addressing the launch event of the National Seminar on WTO and Regional Trade Agreements organized by the Department of Commerce at Taj Hotel, Colombo on Tuesday.

Acharya said the volume of duty free imports annually entering Sri Lanka will go up to 75% from the present 51% bringing significant advantages to the economy such as low cost products in the market and low cost raw materials for export industries. "The two new FTAs can bring an additional 24% totaling it to 75%."

However the WTO official cautioned: "Beware of how you define RTAs - a real RTA (regional trade agreement) should be reciprocal; unilateral agreements such as the GSP are not two-way. We are talking of such two-way (reciprocal) programs as the India-Sri Lanka FTA and Pakistan-Sri Lanka FTA."

Minister of industry and Commerce Rishad Bathiudeen addressing the session said that Sri Lanka was the first South Asian nation to introduce market-based economic reforms.

Secretary of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce KDN Ranjith Ashoka said that it is vital to resolve trade issues but they should not deter in working on RTAs.

"We are presently working towards China and Singapore FTAs. The FTA work is proceeding with much care so that local stakeholders are protected. Sri Lanka's hub positioning is a key. They call it Open Skies, but the open ocean routes are even more important for our trade development. For example, we handle 30% of Indian container trans-shipments."

The two day workshop by the Department of Commerce concludes on Wednesday (11 October). Top officials from the Central Bank, the Treasury, Board of Investment, representatives from five Chambers, and Lankan corporates in exports are participating in the workshop.

 

ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories ::
Demarcation of provincial councils expected to end by end of January, AG tells court
-- [46 minutes ago]
Eight railway trade unions decided to end the strike - Government
-- [1 hour and 50 minutes ago]
Sri Lanka Transport Board deploys over 700 additional buses to facilitate commuter transport
-- [2 hours ago]
Sri Lanka police to enforce election laws relating to the upcoming local government elections form today
-- [2 hours ago]
Three top members of National Freedom Front join SLFP
-- [3 hours ago]
Shilpa Saviya Exhibition showcases urban crafts by senior local craftsmen
-- [3 hours ago]
Sri Lanka Child authority receives over 8,500 complaints of child abuse in 2017
-- [4 hours ago]
Sri Lanka receives another 1,000 tons of rice from China for drought victims
-- [5 hours ago]
Indian Air Force Chief visits Sri Lanka for discussions on regional security
-- [5 hours ago]
Sri Lanka's Hambantota Port deal with China expected to ensure full utilization of the port
-- [6 hours ago]

Copyright © 2000, 2016 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.