Dec 30, Colombo: P.B. Mandawala says that the Department of Archeology has taken steps to preserve the Sudaikuda Dageba in Sampur, which is alleged to have been destroyed by an unknown group.
The Archaeology Department will take over the entire land area, where the Sudaikuda Dageba was located for preservation, the Director General said. He said the Department has carried out a special program for the preservation of Eastern antiques on the advice of Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam.
The official said although years passed after the war ended, no steps have been taken to preserve the archeological sites in the North and East. He said several programs were implemented after 2015.
He said that the Dageba and the surrounding area had been destroyed by some group before the Department declared it as an archaeologically and historically important site.
Under the programs implemented, the ruins of the Sampur stupa that had been destroyed by a certain group had been excavated and the site was destroyed by a group before it was named an archaeological conservation site, the Director General said.
The Director General further said that the Department has taken steps to prevent any destruction in archeological sites. He further said the Police are conducting investigations to apprehend those who are responsible for the destructions and the persons who are involved in the destruction will be given maximum punishment under the provisions of the Archeology Ordinance.
According to the Director General of Archeology, the area where the Dageba is located has been identified as an ancient Buddhist heritage and the Archeology Department has taken measures to take over the site and carry out further excavations and preservation.