Aug 28, Colombo: The demining of Sri Lanka's Northern and Eastern Provinces is nearing completion and 98 percent of the areas that were mined during the armed conflict are now free for public's use while the demining in the remaining areas is progressing fast, the Director of the Media Centre of Ministry of Defence and Urban Development Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
Addressing the weekly media briefing on Wednesday, the spokesperson said there is only about 80 square kilometers remaining to be cleared in comparison to the 5000 square kilometers of land mass that was left at the end of the war.
He said the cleared areas were thoroughly inspected and guaranteed by UNDP officials prior to the handing over lands back to the civilians.
According to Brigadier Wanigasooriya, Security Forces personnel demined over 68 percent of the area, especially in the Mullaitivu and Kilinochchi districts while the rest was demined by local and foreign NGOs.
The spokesman said the Army had already demined lands necessary for the residents to conduct their daily activities.