June 09, Colombo: Sri Lanka has vehemently rejected the appointment of a team by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the alleged human right violations committed by the both sides during the last seven years of the three decade long war.
The Ministry of External Affairs has announced that no permission will be given to the OHCHR team appointed by the High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay, the state-run radio said.
Pillay for the last time on Tuesday (June 10) will address the 26th session of the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) where she will present an update on the activities of her Office before stepping down as High Commissioner in August this year.
She is expected to announce to the Council that her office has assembled a team that would, as mandated by the Resolution HRC 25 passed in March this year, conduct the independent comprehensive investigation into alleged serious violations and abuses of human rights and related crimes by both parties in Sri Lanka during the last seven years of the civil war.
An OHCHR official has told Daily Mirror that the Sri Lankan Government was informed of the particulars of the investigation team set up by the High Commissioner last week.
The official has said that the OHCHR intends to finalize all the mechanisms involved with setting up the team and to have it operational by July.
Reportedly the team would be drawn largely from the OHCHR but also include two senior experts of international stature and consult with three special rapporteurs - on extrajudicial and arbitrary killing, torture and enforced disappearances.