June 08, Colombo: Sri Lanka police media spokesman Senior Superintendent of Police Ajith Rohana said that police had uncovered a foreign employment racket and nabbed the racketeers who defrauded over Rs.16 million from unsuspecting foreign employment seekers.
He said that the racketeers had run a website similar in look to the website of the Foreign Employment Bureau of Sri Lanka to hoodwink foreign employment seekers.
The bogus website at "www.slblanka.com" has defrauded people promising job opportunities in Korea. The website has now been made dysfunctional, the spokesman said.
Two suspects have been arrested and police are on the lookout for another suspect, the Spokesman said. The Police had recovered around Rs. 6.5 million in the possession of the two arrested suspects.
The third suspect, a woman, is believed to have fled to Italy with around Rs. 10 million of swindled money, the spokesman said.
The police had sought Interpol assistance to issue a red notice on the woman, who had been posing as a coordinating secretary of the Foreign Employment and Welfare Minister Dilan Perera.
The racketeers have collected from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 700,000 from about 40 young men promising them to be sent to South Korea for employment.