June 06, Colombo: The Presidential Commission Investigating Cases of Missing Persons in Sri Lanka began its fourth round of public sittings today in Batticaloa District and heard cases from Batticaloa.
The Commission will conduct sittings in the district from June 06 - 08, 2014 and sittings will be held at the Kattankudy Divisional Secretariat on June 6th and 7th and at Manmunaipattu Divisional Secretariat on June 8th.
The Commission has received 58 complaints from Batticaloa and 49 residents had come for the public sittings held today at the Batticaloa Divisional Secretariat.
The Chairman of the Commission Attorney Maxwell Paranagama said most of the complaints on missing persons from Batticaloa held the terrorist group Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) responsible for the disappearances and there were no allegations against security forces.
"Most of the complaints were against the LTTE. There weren't any allegation against the security forces," he told the media.
According to the Chairman, most of the complainants had said that their relatives disappeared while they were visiting Kalmunai or Kattankudy on business matters.
The Commission has received 13,605 complaints on missing civilians and 5,000 complaints on missing security personnel.
The Commission had previously conducted Public Sittings in January, February and March this year in Kilinochchi, and Jaffna. Following hearings in Batticaloa the public sittings will move on to Mullaitivu.
The Commission appointed by the President on 14 August 2013, is mandated to inquire into and report on alleged abductions or disappearances during the period June 10, 1990, to May 19, 2009.
The Commission recently launched an official website to provide information on its activities to the public. The site can be accessed at http://www.pcicmp.lk/.