July 01, Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities have postponed the excavations of a suspected mass grave site in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka till 18th of August, Police media Unit said.
Excavations of the mass grave site at Kaluwanchikudy in Batticaloa district, believed to be of Muslims massacred by the Tamil Tiger terrorists in the Eastern Province in 1990, was to begin today.
It has been reported that the participation of the Colombo Chief Judicial Medical Officer and the Government Analyst is required when exhuming such mass grave sites and the authorities have not been able to make preparations in time for the officials' presence.
Accordingly, the court has postponed the start of the exhumation till 18th August.
Kaluwanchikudy Courts earlier this month ordered the excavation of the grave site near the coast off Kurukkalmadam to begin on July 01after examining a motion submitted by a resident of Kaluwanchikudy.
In his complaint submitted to Kaluwanchikudy Police Station, Abdul Majeed Mohammed, a resident of Kaluwanchikudy, said the Tamil Tigers kidnapped more than 100 Muslims in the area and subsequently killed them and buried during the war in 1990.
During the 30-year war between the Sri Lankan security forces and the Tamil Tiger terrorists, the LTTE was accused of engaging in a systematic and brutal ethnic cleansing campaign against Muslims in the North and East.