Feb 10, Colombo: The excavation work on the unmarked grave site found in Mannar in Northern Sri Lanka resumed today after a brief pause, the police said.
Mannar Police said that excavation work in the grave site resumed today in the presence of Mannar District Magistrate Ms. Ananthi Kanagaratnam.
Mannar Magistrate last month ordered a pause in the excavation of the mass grave from January 31st in view of the Thiruketheeswaram Kovil festival.
The excavations at the site along the access road to the Thiruketheeswaram Kovil in Mannar in the former war zone began initially on December 20 after road construction workers laying water pipes along the road stumbled on the human skeletal remains and alerted the police.
Skeletal remains of 55 people have so far been unearthed from the unmarked grave site.