Lankapage Logo Recent Top Stories
CP 14 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Construction of Broadlands Hydropower Project in Sri Lanka to start on 14th July
Wed, Jul 10, 2013, 09:51 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

July 10, Colombo: Sri Lanka Minister of Power and Energy Pavithra Wanniarachchi will start the construction of the long-awaited Broadlands Hydropower Project (BHP) on 14th July.

The Broadlands hydropower plant to be constructed at Kithulgala, about 90 km north-east of Colombo, will add 35 megawatt to the national grid. Once completed it expects to generate 137 GWh of electrical energy annually.

The project which is a run-of-river type project planned to build on the Kelani River is the last of the series of hydropower plants of Laxapana and it has been stalled for 25 years due to environmental concerns.

The 24-meter high and 114-meter long long dam will be constructed across the Kelani River in Kithulgala in the Nuwara Eliya District and the power plant will be established in Yatiyanthota in Kegalle district. The tunnel of the complex will be 3.5 kilometers long and 5.4 meters in diameter.

The project is estimated to cost US$ 82 million, 85% of which is financed by China and the remaining 15% is to be borne by the government with a loan from the Hatton National Bank.

ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories
Sri Lankan President's adviser briefs UN HR High Commissioner on new government's policies
-- [1 hour and 17 minutes ago]
UN Secretary General hopes Sri Lanka will work with the UN on war probe
-- [1 hour and 30 minutes ago]
Public sector salaries not increased and private sector workers ignored by the Sri Lankan government - trade union leader
-- [2 hours ago]
Sri Lankan government to audit and investigate into non-strategic investments in Seychelles
-- [2 hours ago]
Sri Lanka Marxist party says short or long term economic strategies not included in interim budget
-- [2 hours ago]
Opposition legislators of Sri Lanka seek debate on the controversy over Chief Justice, PM to respond today
-- [2 hours ago]
Colombo Stock Exchange to educate Sri Lankan pensioners on sustainable financial planning
Law expert says U.S. can try Sri Lanka's ex-Defense Secretary if no domestic probe on him
European Commission offers Sri Lanka assistance in meeting regulatory requirements to lift EU fishing ban
Sri Lankan government to merge SriLankan and Mihin to cut losses, increase productivity

Copyright © 2000, 2012 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.