Lankapage Logo Recent Top Stories
CP 12 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Sri Lanka takes census of civilian deaths during the last stages of war
Thu, Nov 24, 2011, 02:15 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Nov 24, Colombo: The Sri Lankan government is taking measures for the first time to get an accurate count of the number of civilians killed during the final stages of the armed conflict against the Tamil Tiger terrorists, country's top defence official said Thursday.

Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa has said the government is preparing to take census of the civilians died or went missing during the last few months of the conflict that ended in May 2009.

Delivering the keynote address at the inaugural National Reconciliation Conference organized by the Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute of International Relations and Strategic Studies, the Defence Secretary has said that the government believes, as a first step towards reconciliation, taking census of the deaths is a way to address the accountability.

The Secretary has said that the counting the number of dead and missing and identifying the circumstances led to the deaths will help to investigate the war crime allegations against the security forces.

He has said that the government has already assigned officials in the North to identify the dead or missing individuals by name and how they died.

He said the deaths have been divided in to various categories - natural causes, accidents, fighting for the rebels, fighting against the rebels, resisting the rebels, fleeing the country by boats or security forces action.

The government's count so far shows a very small number of civilians died because of military action, the Secretary said while acknowledging that soldiers may have been responsible for some of the deaths.

Defence Secretary has promised to investigate any crimes, if any, committed by the soldiers and punish the culpable.

The government has maintained that it had a 'zero civilian casualties' policy but acknowledged that civilian casualties were unavoidable during a war where the terrorists have held the civilians as human shields.

The Defence Secretary said the Census and Statistics Department will be conducting the survey and the results will be made public.



ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories
Supreme Court indefinitely postpones decision on former chief Justice's petition on PC election act
-- [1 hour and 35 minutes ago]
Prime Minister criticizes media for publishing fabricated news
-- [2 hours ago]
Northern protesters meet President for discussions on Tamil prisoners
-- [3 hours ago]
Indonesian Naval Ship arrives at Sri Lanka port on a goodwill mission
-- [3 hours ago]
Human Rights Watch makes submission concerning Sri Lanka's military occupation of schools to UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
-- [3 hours ago]
Sri Lanka Multi-Day trawlers catch over 14,000 kg of tuna in deep sea fishing
-- [4 hours ago]
Sri Lankan President calls on journalists to present truth
-- [5 hours ago]
Sri Lanka to launch national program to eradicate all forms of poverty by 2030
-- [6 hours ago]
Pakistan Foreign Secretary launches Pakistan Alumni Society of Sri Lanka
-- [7 hours ago]
Mobitel launches South Asia's first NB-IoT Network at Techno 2017 in Sri Lanka
-- [7 hours ago]

Copyright © 2000, 2010 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.