Lankapage Logo Recent Top Stories
CP 12 YEARS
Go Home Home Serving the Sri Lankan community globally since 2000
go to LankaPage.com

Leading News from Sri Lanka::

* Broadlands Hydropower Project to proceed immediately to remedy Sri Lanka's power woes
Sat, Jul 16, 2011, 11:35 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

July 16, Colombo: The Sri Lankan government plans to immediately implement the long-awaited Broadlands Hydropower Project (BHP) to add more hydropower to the national grid and reduce the cost associated with thermal power generation.

The Cabinet of ministers has approved a proposal made by Power and Energy Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka to proceed with the project.

The Broadlands hydropower plant to be constructed at Kithulgala, about 90 km north-east of Colombo, will add 35 megawatt to the national grid. Once completed it expects to generate 137 GWh of electrical energy annually.

The project is estimated to cost US$ 82 million, 85% of which is financed by China and the remaining 15% is to be borne by the government.

The project which is a run-of-river type project planned to build on the Kelani River is the last of the series of hydropower plants of Laxapana and it has been stalled for 25 years due to environmental concerns.

However, the government says that the project can prevent carbon emission by 86,000 metric tons per year. The state can earn US $ 2.4 million per year through carbon trading, the government says.



ColomboPage - Recent 10 Stories
Registration of chainsaw machines from tomorrow
-- [6 hours ago]
ADB approves $ 50 mn loan to Sri Lanka's RDB to provide credit to small rural enterprises
-- [7 hours ago]
Indian Coast Guard apprehends 25 Sri Lankan fishermen
-- [7 hours ago]
Passenger and cargo ferry service to be commenced between Southern India and Northern Sri Lanka
-- [7 hours ago]
Milk Powder is not an issue for political platform - Health Minister
-- [8 hours ago]
Sri Lanka's leading apparel exporter Brandix goes 'live' with Centric PLM solution
Pakistan offers numerous scholarship opportunities for Sri Lankan students
Minister Ranjan Ramanayake says list of 24 MPs using drugs handed over to Speaker
France supports Sri Lanka's fisheries sector to cut post-harvest losses
Speaker to table the committee report on disorderly conduct in parliament on Friday

Copyright © 2000, 2010 by LankaPage.com (LLC) :
The news and other contents on ColomboPage are copyrighted property of LankaPage.com, LLC. Any unauthorized use of any information on ColomboPage may constitute a violation of copyright laws. You need written permission to reproduce, republish, post, transmit, broadcast or distribute, material from this site from LankaPage.com, LLC. However, news organizations or broadcasters in Sri Lanka may republish the news items in ColomboPage with proper acknowledgment to ColomboPage.