Food poisoning incidents in Sri Lanka schools to be investigated
Sun, Feb 21, 2010, 11:19 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.
Feb 21, Colombo: Sri Lanka Education Ministry says the recent food poisoning incidents in two public schools in the country will be thoroughly investigated.
The Ministry has already sent a team of senior officials to the Kalpitiya and Matale schools where the incidents happened and also to area hospitals to conduct a full scale inquiry into the incidents.
Most recently on February 18, 112 students of a school in Kalpitiya, Kandakuliyamune have been admitted to hospital due to food poisoning. Majority of the students were below the age of 12 and five students were in serious condition.
Earlier on February 12, a female student of a school in Matale died following a case of food poisoning. Nearly 130 children from three schools in Matale were affected by the contaminated food after consuming a mid-day meal prepared by a meal contractor. The contractor and his wife were arrested by the police.
Education Minister Susil Premajayantha said that although mid-day meals are provided by the school authorities under the supervision of Provincial Education officials, it is the duty of the Education Ministry to avoid such incidents in the future.